a•laf•fi•a \ ah-la-fee-uh \ noun. A common greeting or valediction originating from central Togo, Benin, and Nigeria. Alafﬁa means a state of peace, health, and well-being.
QUICK! What is the body’s largest organ? If you said the skin then you are correct. Your skin is like a sponge, it can soak up and absorb fragments of the world around it. It is closely linked to the circulatory system, being highly vascularized, so it is easy for pollutants and toxicities to enter the bloodstream through it. That is why it is important for us to all consider what we intentionally allow to rest upon our skin.
More often than not we get too caught up in what we are putting into our bodies, that often times we forget to consider what we are putting on them as well. Consider this, on a day-to-day basis how many things are you putting on your skin. Face wash, moisturizer, sunscreen, primer, foundation, concealer, blush, lotions, soaps, shave creams the list can go on. Also, take the time to consider who much money and space each of those products takes up. Now imagine a product that could consolidate at least three of those products down, all for under $15. That’s right, may I present to you…
- ALL-IN-ONE: Authentic Black Soap is an “all in one” option for cleaning, and is ideal for faces and babies, shaving, shampooing, and as a general hand & body wash.
- Facial Cleanser: Apply with palms or facial cloth and massage gently over skin. Rinse clean and pat dry. Follow with face cream of your choice.
- Body Wash: Squeeze onto a wet loofah, scrub or wash cloth and work into a lather on body. Rinse thoroughly.
- Shave: take your designated razor and just begin to shave after washing. Simple.
- Shampoo: Apply to wet hair & massage into a rich lather. Rinse thoroughly & condition.
I discovered this gem when searching for Aloe Vera juice at my local Whole Foods. I try to be a product minimalist, but sometimes I can get caught up in the allure of new products, but when I find a genuinely effective and authentic product I stick to it. This is now a “holy grail” product for me. I love low-lather soaps and poos, because to have more suds doesn’t mean “more clean”. I also love multi-functionality in products (whether it be clothes, decor, or beauty). That being said, I use this product to bathe with, to shave, and to shampoo. It is so inexpensive for such a great value ($13.99 for 32oz). I give this brand and their soap five stars, I believe that I will be using this for years to come.
I have particularly dry skin with the occasional flare of eczema; I have a severe intolerance for heavily fragrant products (sorry Bath and Body Works), so I am very appreciative of full-fledged companies that make products like this. I have not had an eczema flair up or experienced any excessive moisture loss from its use. The color is a milky brown, and the consistency is thin, almost watery. As mentioned before, this product produces little to no suds, which is my preference, but if you are one who loves bubbles this product will be completely unsatisfactory to you. All in all, this is a well-articulated greatly executed all-in-one product. I appreciate that I don’t have to worry about what is going into my body. On a side note, I wish that the 32oz bottle came with a pump dispenser instead of a cap like the 16oz does, but other than that. I have nary a complaint for this product.
Ingredients: Azadirachta indica (Neem) Aqueous Extract, Saponified Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) Butter* and Elaeis guineensis (Palm Kernel) Oil*, Lauryl Glucoside, Eucalyptus globulus (Eucalyptus) Oil, Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree) Oil. *Certiﬁed Fair for Life-Social & Fair Trade by IMO
- Relieves dry skin; it soothes itchiness, redness, and irritation.
- It improves general skin health and immunity.
- Promotes shiny, healthy hair, and combats dryness.
- Treats dandruff, inflamed skin,dry skin, eczema, insect bites, itch, muscle soreness, scaly and itchy skin.
- anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, deodorizer, [skin] decongestant, antiseptic, antibacterial, and stimulating.
- TEA TREE:
- Anti-fungal and anti-viral benefits.
P.S. I’ve been using my 32oz bottle every day since April and am less than half way through the bottle.